You are a good candidate for a Facelift, if…
- You are in your 40’s – 70’s and have anappearance not in consonance with your age
- You are generally healthy, without any uncorrected medical condition which could impair healing
- You have facial imperfections caused by excess sagging tissue and/or sagging skin
- You have sagging cheeks & deep visible lines around the nose
- You have a positive outlook and realistic expectations
- You are preferably a Non-smoker
A Facelift or Rhytidectomy is a surgical procedure that improves visible signs of aging in the face and neck, such as:
- Reduction in elasticity of the skin of the face causing sagging and wrinkling
- Deepening of the smile folds / lines on the sides of the nose and at the corner of the mouth
- Facial fat that has sagged down or has been lost over time
- Jowls developing in the lower cheeks and along the jawline
Any patient who is physically and mentally healthy and wants to rejuvenate their face and neck to achieve a youthful look is an eligible candidate. Patients with uncontrolled medical conditions, taking blood thinners, chronic smokers or with cardiac ailment must approach this surgery with extreme caution
During your facelift consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
- Previous surgeries
- Your surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Discuss your facelift options based on your unique aging process
- Examine and measure your face
- Take photographs for documentation and planning
- Recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of a facelift and any risks or potential complications
- Discuss the type of anaesthesia that will be used
Medications are administered for your comfort during the surgical procedure. The choices include local anaesthesia, local anaesthesia with intravenous sedation or general anaesthesia. Your doctor will recommend the best choice for you.
While most people are presentable to the public within 10-14 days, it will take 2-3 months for the face to feel "back to normal" in terms of texture, sensibility and loss of tightness.
Continuing daily sun protection and a healthy lifestyle will help extend the results of your facelift.
As swelling and bruising subside, the visible improvements of a facelift appear. Your final result should not only provide a more youthful and rested appearance, but also help you feel more confident about yourself.Follow your surgeon’s instructions to ensure the success of your surgery.
A checklist for your facelift consultation:
- Are you a certified plastic surgeon?
- Were you specifically trained in the field of plastic surgery?
- How many years of plastic surgery training have you had?
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- What will be expected of me to get the best results?
- Where and how will you perform my procedure?
- What surgical technique is recommended for me?
- How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
- What are the risks and complications associated with a facelift?
- How are complications handled?
- How can I expect my face to look over time?
- What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the cosmetic outcome of my facelift?
- Do you have before-and-after photos I can look at for this procedure and what results are reasonable for me?